The Baltic Sea Challenge and Turku at the UN High-level Political Forum 2022
The United Nations High-level political forum on sustainable development (HLPF) in 2022 was held from Tuesday, July 5th to Friday, July 15th 2022. The HLPF is the central United Nations platform for the follow-up and review of the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development and the SDGs at the global level.
The Division for Sustainable Development Goals at the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA/DSDG) and the New York Office of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) organized a special event on the HLPF called “SDGs Learning, Training & Practice”. The event was a series of capacity-building and knowledge-learning sessions, featuring speakers and experts from many sectors on crucial topics related to the implementation of the SDGs under review in 2022 HLPF. The following SDGs were reviewed at the 2022 HLPF:
- SDG 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- SDG 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- SDG 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas, and marine resources for sustainable development
- SDG 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- SDG 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
The Baltic Sea Challenge arranged a workshop at the forum, with the Millennials Movement, Permanent Mission of Denmark to the United Nations in New York and the Danish Institute for Human Rights.
The purpose of this workshop was to align our knowledge and practice and share transformative methods for enhancing sustainable lifestyles by putting more talent of the citizens in the process. Together the participants will reflect upon, discuss examples, and investigate how to further develop practices and follow up for well-organized stakeholder engagement. The key objective was to learn about methods that engage stakeholders to accomplish influence and tangible results regarding sustainable lifestyles.
Tove Holm, October 10th, 2022