IWAMA Final Conference in Turku
The Final Conference of the IWAMA project is organized in the city of Turku, Finland, on 30–31 January 2019. The event is hosted by the City of Turku and the UBC Sustainable Cities Commission.
The Final Conference of the project will bring attention to the current state of the water sector and its future needs and strategies for further development. Discussions will involve representatives from different levels, from local to national and regional, bringing together decision-makers and practitioners to strengthen the linkages between policy making and practical implementation of smart solutions in wastewater treatment.
Throughout the event, the project outputs will get their due attention, as the final products of IWAMA allow more efficient and smart wastewater management in the Baltic Sea Region. The outputs allow developing smart wastewater treatment from three sides: improving technical state of plants through increasing energy efficiency and advancing sludge handling, as well as developing professional capacity of wastewater treatment operators through lifelong learning practices.
The IWAMA project aims to improve resource efficiency in wastewater management in the Baltic Sea Region by developing the capacity of the WWT operators and implementing the pilot investments in reaching energy efficiency and advanced sludge handling, which will altogether result in reduced nutrient inflows to the Baltic Sea. The outputs of IWAMA include:
- Training materials package on smart energy and sludge management for both WWT sector professionals and students to support lifelong learning and knowledge exchange in the sector;
- Key figure data collected and analyzed for energy and sludge benchmark providing information about the current state of affairs based on the data submitted by 65 different scaled WWTPs in the Baltic Sea Region;
- Audit concept for smart energy and sludge management including the audit tools for energy and sludge that allow any WWTP in the region apply the self-auditing procedure to evaluate their energy balance and check the sludge handling process for the improvement opportunities;
- Seven pilot investments focusing on smart energy and sludge management in different BSR countries;
- Multifunctional online portal Baltic Smart Water Hub connecting water experts in the region for exchange of knowledge.
Agenda (draft 22.11.2018).
During the event you will have a chance to:
- Join the study visit to the Turku WWTP facilities – Kakolanmäki plant on 30 January 2019.
- Participate in the main event involving presentations, panel discussions and exhibitions – on 31 January 2019.
- Project partners will take part in the internal project meeting on 1 February 2019.